Helping the SSMAC Live On In Our Community
By: Irma W. Fisher
The Soldiers', Sailors', Marines’, Coast Guard and Airmen's Club has called Murray Hill home since 1927. The club was founded in 1919 by Mrs. Cornelia Barnes Rogers, Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt Jr, and General John J. Pershing as an organization dedicated to “Serve Those Who Serve Their Country.” It is a not-for-profit 501c3 organization, dependent on sponsors and contributors so that it can provide subsidized accommodations and club-type facilities for all members of the armed services.
The club offers modest room rates for dormitory-style accommodations as well as a canteen, library and TV lounge. There are a few private rooms available for couples or families. Public rooms are also available to rent for meetings and receptions.
The club home is in jeopardy as they may lose their lease with a new owner and, if that happens, will have to close its doors or relocate. The club is one of the finest neighbors we have in the community and we are concerned for their future. The MHNA is working with the club’s management to see how we can help this "special treasure" live on in our community. Watch for developing news about the SSMAC.
Photo: 283 Lexington Avenue (between 36th and 37th Street) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.