Local Government

New York City Campaign Finance Board

100 Church Street
12th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Information for Voters, Candidates, explanation of the laws and rules.



New York City Department of Sanitation Digest of Codes

Call 311 or text 311-692 for complaints. Or visit their website: www.nyc.gov/sanitation

Poison Control Center call: 212-764-7667


Business owners are required to have proof of private carter service and must follow rules on when trash may be placed on sidewalks for collection. All trash must be placed out for collection as close to collection time as possible. If refuse is scheduled to be picked up after closing, merchants must place refuse outside within one hour of closing. If the collection service is performed during the business day, the refuse must be placed out for collection within two hours of collection time.

DOS rules also state that all cardboard must be flattened and secured with twine or placed in recycling containers or paper recycling bags. You may not use cardboard boxes as receptacles, even for flattened cardboard.


Related Document: digest.pdf

New York State Senator - Liz Krueger - 28th Senate District

1850 Second Avenue
New York , NY 10128
Phone: (212) 490-9535
Fax: (212) 490-2151

Can send messages through the website:


NYC Business Solutions Center

NYC Business Solutions Center provides free legal and financing advice, guidance on getting NYC licenses and permits, and free business workshops.

NYC Dog Laws

The most common dog laws in New York City are:

  • Dog license: Dogs living in NYC must have a license from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Licenses must be renewed annually. In addition to being licensed, guard and service dogs must be registered. You must report losses, thefts, and transfers of ownership of a guard dog within five days. Guard dogs must wear both a dog license tag and a guard dog tag issued by the City on their collar at all times.
  • Dog leash law: A person who owns or controls a dog may not allow it to be in any public place or in any open or unfenced field abutting a public place, unless the dog is effectively restrained by a leash or chain no more than six feet long.
  • Canine waste law: Each person who owns or controls a dog must remove any feces left by that dog on any sidewalk, gutter, street, or other public area and dispose of it in a legal manner. The person may remove the feces and carry them away with him/her for disposal in a toilet or their own litter basket. The feces may also be placed in a non-leaking sealed bag or container and deposited in a DSNY litter basket. The provisions of this law do not apply to a guide dog accompanying any blind person.
  • Animal nuisance law: Each person who owns or controls a pet shall not allow the animal to commit a nuisance on any public or private premises used in common by the public, or any area of a building abutting a public place.


NYC Parks Department Request

Submit a Forestry Service Request

When you submit a request through the NYC Parks Department forestry service request intake process, you enable them to carefully monitor the progress of your request every step of the way.

When you submit a request it goes directly to the appropriate Parks Department division for action, and the 311 Customer Service Center provides you with a tracking number and details about how your new service request will be addressed.

Below, you can:
  • Report a damaged or dead tree
  • Request a new street tree
  • Notify Parks of illegal tree damage
  • Submit a report of potentially hazardous trees or branches*
  • Let us know about an undesirable root, sewer, or sidewalk condition

All requests sent to Parks are given direct attention and will be resolved as soon as possible.

NYC Small Business Services - Lower Manhattan Center

Lower Manhattan Center

79 John Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10038

Phone: 212-618-8914

TTY/TRS: 7-1-1 or 1-800-662-1220

Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00AM - 5:00PM

FREE services to help businesses start, operate, and expand in New York City. Whether you need financing assistance, legal advice, ways to score new business opportunities with the City, recruiting advice, or help with permits or licenses, our staff is here to help you.

Directions: 79 John Street is located between William and Gold Streets. By subway take the A,C,J,Z,2, 3,4,5 to Fulton Street or R to City Hall. Take the M5 to Broadway - Fulton St or the M103 bus to Park Row - Beekman St.

Request a City Bench

The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) is installing benches around the city, particularly at bus stops, retail corridors, and in areas with high concentrations of senior citizens.

The sidewalk must be at least 12 feet wide from building to curb face for backed benches. For backless benches at bus stops, the sidewalk must be at least 14 feet wide. Other clearance requirements also apply.

Richard N. Gottfried (D) - Member of the Assembly - 75th Assembly District

District Office
242 West 27th Street
New York, NY 10001
Fax: 212-243-2035

Email: GottfriedR@nyassembly.gov

Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand (D) New York

New York Office:

780 Third Avenue
Suite 2601
New York, New York 10017

Telephone: 212-688-6262

Fax: 866-824-6340

Website contact form: https://www.gillibrand.senate.gov/contact


Displaying sites 31 thru 40 of 45 (5 Pages)


Join The Murray Hill Neighborhood Association

Be involved in the preservation, beautification and improvement of this very special neighborhood, and receive discounts at some of the finest Murray Hill restaurants and merchants.

Join Today