East 34th Street Water Main Replacement and Transitway Project
Monday, May 19, 2014
Beginning this week, the New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC) will begin a construction project to reconstruct existing water mains. A significant aspect of this project is the construction of a new trunk water main that will connect to City Water Tunnel No. 3. The project will include the installation and relocation of water mains, sewers, catch basins/chute connections, and street lighting/traffic signals.
Once the water main work is completed, the DDC will complete construction for the 34th Street Select Bus Service, including construction/installation of bus bulbs, bus pads, curbs, and sidewalks, to be followed by road resurfacing.
This work is expected to be completed in Fall 2016.
Work will take place Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM. At certain locations the contractor may have to work different daytime hours, nights, and weekends.
Work will be performed on East 34th Street between Lexington Avenue and FDR Drive, on Third Avenue between 35th Street and 33rd Street, on Second Avenue between 35th Street and 33rd Street and on First Avenue between 34th Street and 33rd Street.
• Pedestrian access to buildings will be maintained at all times.
• Street closures/traffic detours may include partial closures and/or limited access of intersections and streets. Signs will be posted.
• Vehicular access may be restricted on certain streets in certain locations.
• Parking will be temporarily restricted so construction may proceed. Signs will be posted where necessary.
• Driveway/loading dock access may be temporarily restricted.
• Bus relocation will be detoured in/around the work zones, if necessary.
Water Service Disruptions
During the course of this project, temporary water service disruptions will be necessary in order to replace the water mains. If it is necessary for DDC to turn off your water service, you will receive written notice by 4pm the day before service interruption.
For all project-related questions or concerns, please contact the following, or call 311.
Emily Campbell, Community Construction Liaison.
Telephone: (212) 951-7164/ Email: E34stTransitwayCCL@gmail.com