P&D Committee Submits 29 Buildings for Landmark Designation
Monday, August 15, 2016
In May, the Preservation & Design Committee of The Murray Hill Neighborhood Association submitted 29 buildings to the Landmarks Preservation Commission requesting landmark designation. These buildings range from townhouses of the mid-19th century to multi-dwelling structures and a church built in the first half of the 20th century. They are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and are located adjacent to the Murray Hill Historic District. At this time, due to intense pressures for new development in Midtown, there is an urgent need to protect the unique character of Murray Hill as a historic, low-rise residential enclave nestled between the iconic Madison Avenue, 34th Street and 42nd Street.
Please look for future mailings—we may ask you to attend public hearings to support expansion of Murray Hill’s designated landmarks. The petition is closed.
Madison Avenue, East side from 36th to 38th Street
- 213 Madison Avenue (aka 22-26 East 36th Street), apartment building, Louis E. Jallade, 1926-27.
- 237 Madison Avenue, fifteen-story neo-Romanesque apartment hotel converted to Morgans Boutique Hotel in 1984, Thomas, 1925-26.
- 241-245 Madison Avenue (aka 22 East 38th St.), Fraternity Club Building, now NH New York Jolly Madison Towers (multi-dwelling), Murgatroyd & Ogden, 1922-23.
East 37th Street, North side between Madison and Park Avenue
- 19 East 37th Street, neo-Georgian town house, C.P.H. Gilbert, 1905.
- 21 East 37th Street, brownstone row house, 1862.
- 23 East 37th Street, brownstone row house, 1862.
- 25 East 37th Street, brownstone row house, 1860.
- 27 East 37th Street, brownstone row house, 1863.
- 29 East 37th Street, row house, 1861, with limestone façade installed in 1906.
East 38th Street, South side between Madison and Park Avenue
- 24 East 38th Street, brick front row house, 1876.
- 26 East 38th Street, row house, 1864.
- 30 East 38th Street, two row houses converted to apartments with brick façade in 1952.
- 32 East 38th Street, row house, 1864.
- 34 East 38th Street, brownstone row house, 1862.
- 36 East 38th Street, row house given new front by Hoppin & Koen 1903, designated Landmark 2010.
- 38 East 38th Street, row house given an updated limestone façade by Charles Brigham, 1902.
40 East 38th Street, row house with an updated limestone façade by Parrish & Schroeder, 1902, now owned by the Kitano Hotel.
East 38th Street, North side between Madison and Park Avenue
- 31 East 38th Street, town house, William P. Easterbrook, 1869.
Park Avenue from 34th to 38th Street
- 10 Park Avenue (aka 61-65 East 34th Street), apartment hotel, Corbett, Harrison & MacMurray and Robert T. Lyons, Inc., 1931.
- 46 Park Avenue, town house, Permanent Mission of El Salvador to the United Nations, Francis G. Stewart, 1910.
- 59-65 Park Avenue (aka 102 East 38th Street), Church of Our Saviour, Paul C. Reilly, 1955.
East 38th Street, North side between Lexington and Third Avenue
- 127-129 East 38th Street (aka 315-323 Lexington Avenue), eclectic office building by Delano & Aldrich, 1931, for the American National Red Cross, now Permanent Mission of Cuba to the United Nations.
East 38th Street, South side between Lexington and Third Avenue
- 138 East 38th Street (aka 309-311 Lexington Avenue), 1915.
- 140 East 38th Street, brownstone row house, 1861.
- 142 East 38th Street, brownstone row house, 1861.
- 144 East 38th Street, brownstone row house, 1861.
- 146 East 38th Street, brownstone row house, 1861.
- 148 East 38th Street, brownstone row house, 1861.
East 39th Street, South side between Madison and Park Avenue
- 24 East 39th Street, row house, C.P.H. Gilbert, 1905.
RELATED DOCUMENTS10 Park Avenue
138 East 38th Street
140 to 144 East 38th Street
148 East 38th Street
19 East 37th Street
21, 23, 25 East 37th Street
213 Madison Avenue
237 Madison Avenue
24 East 38th Street
24 East 39th Street
241-245 Madison Avenue
26 East 38th Street
27 East 37th Street
29 East 37th Street
30 East 38th Street
31 East 38th Street
315 Lexington Avenue
32 East 38th Street
34 East 38th Street
36 East 38th Street
38 East 38th Street
40 East 38th Street
46 Park Avenue
59-65 Park Avenue
Murray Hill Historic District Map