Pershing Square West Project work expected to be substantially completed by the end of 2017
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
Source: NYC Department of Design and Construction
Updated 9/26/16, 10/5/16, 1/6/17, 4/5/17, 7/7/17, 7/14/17
Pershing Square West Reconstruction
The New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC) is managing a capital reconstruction project to replace existing infrastructure at Pershing Square West and along surrounding streets and to create a pedestrian plaza on Park Avenue West between 41st and 42nd Street. This project began in the Spring of 2014 and is expected to be substantially completed by the end of 2017.
Work Completed to Date
- East 42 St between Vanderbilt & Lexington Avenues: Installation of 36” trunk water main along with its appurtenances, 20” water main (south side), 12” water main (north side), gas main (north side), catch basins along with their connections, and relocation of Con Ed and ECS facilities.
- Park Avenue West between East 42nd and East 41st Streets: New 16” storm sewer installation relocation of Con Ed and ECS facilities, and retaining wall foundation for rain garden.
- Park Ave West between East 42nd and East 39th Streets: Installation of 36” trunk water main along with its appurtenances, 12” water main, and gas main.
- East 41st Street between Park and Madison Avenues: Relocation of Con Ed, ECS and gas main facilities; installation of catch basins along with their connections.
- East 40th Street between Park and Madison Avenue: Relocation of Con Ed and ECS facilities; and installation of 12” water main.
Anticipated Work Schedule Third Quarter 2017
Night and weekend work operations include:
- East 40th Street between Park and Madison Avenue: installation of 36” trunk water main.
- Park Avenue West between East 42nd and East 41st Street: construction of plaza (finishing of retaining wall for rain garden, removal of existing trees, installation of foundation for pavers, installation of trench drains, granite curbwall, granite treads & pavers, installation of concrete pavers, etc.).
- Throughout the entire project: road base and paving; striping and signage.
Daytime hours for the plaza construction beginning July 19 and lasting approximately 4 months:
- On Park Ave. West between East 41st St. and East 42nd St., plaza construction will be done from 7am to 3:30pm (daytime hours) and from 10pm to 6am (nightime hours)
Dust, noise and heavy equipment are common elements of construction and the DDC asks for your patience during the project. There may be limited street access on certain blocks. However, deliveries to commercial and residential properties and emergency vehicle access will be allowed. In addition, the DDC will be baiting the construction zone on a regular basis to control rodent populations.
Water Service Interruption
During the course of this project, temporary water service disruptions will be necessary in order to replace the water mains. If it is necessary for DDC to turn off your water service, you will receive written notice by 4 p.m. the day before service interruption. Water service will be restored everyday by 6pm or by the end of work shift. If additional shut downs are required you will receive a new notice daily until work is completed.
Proper trash collection can be a challenge on a project as large as this but if everyone is considerate it can be managed with a modicum of disruption. Please pack your trash properly to avoid easy breakage and/or spill over. Put it in the designated areas as close to collection time as possible. If you use a private carter, ensure your trash collection occurs in a timely fashion. If you aren’t sure where to bring your trash, please call the Community Construction Liaison.
Community Construction Liaison
The DDC has assigned Myriam Benjamin of JED Engineering as the Community Construction Liaison (CCL) for this project. Please contact Myriam for any project-related inquiries, concerns or to be added to the electronic Neighborhood Notification Network (NNN) list. Phone: 646-895-9271 / Fax: 646-922-7682, Field Office: 274 Madison Avenue, Suite 1704, NY, NY 10016, Email: PershingSqPlzCCL@gmail.com
01 Pershing Square West Newsletter Winter 2015
02 Pershing Square West Newsletter Summer 2016
03 Pershing Square West Newsletter Fall 2016
04 Pershing Square West Newsletter First Quarter 2017
05 Pershing Square West Newsletter Second Quarter 2017
06 Pershing Square West Newlsetter Third Quarter 2017