Pershing Square West Project work expected to be substantially completed by early Spring 2018
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Source: NYC Department of Design and Construction
Updated 9/26/16, 10/5/16, 1/6/17, 4/5/17, 7/7/17, 7/14/17, 10/13/17, 1/23/18
Pershing Square West Reconstruction
The New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC) is managing a capital reconstruction project to replace existing infrastructure at Pershing Square West and along surrounding streets and to create a pedestrian plaza on Park Avenue West between 41st and 42nd Street. This project began in the Spring of 2014 and is currently anticipated to be at substantial completion by early Spring 2018. (This extends the completion date, which was originally expected to be in mid 2017.)
Work Completed to Date
- East 42 St between Vanderbilt & Lexington Avenues: Installation of 36” trunk water main along with its appurtenances, 20” water main (south side), 12” water main (north side), gas main (north side), catch basins along with their connections, and relocation of Con Ed and ECS facilities, and final curb-to-curb roadway restoration.
- Park Avenue West between East 42nd and East 41st Streets: New 16” storm sewer installation relocation of Con Ed and ECS facilities, and retaining wall foundation for rain garden.
- Park Ave West between East 42nd and East 39th Streets: Installation of 36” trunk water main along with its appurtenances, 12” water main, gas main, and 48” trunk water main (between East 40th & East 39th Streets).
- East 41st Street between Park and Madison Avenues: Relocation of Con Ed, ECS and gas main facilities; installation of catch basins along with their connections, cleanout manhole and chute connection (between Park Ave East & Park Ave West); and final roadway restoration of trenches.
- East 40th Street between Park and Madison Avenue: Relocation of Con Ed and ECS facilities; and installation of 12” water main.
Anticipated Work Schedule First Quarter 2018
Night and weekend work operations include:
- Intersection of East 42nd Street and Park Ave West: Curb and sidewalk.
- Park Avenue West between East 42nd and East 41st Street: Daytime construction of plaza will continue(removal of existing trees, granite curbwall, granite treads & pavers, installation of trench drains, concrete pavers, paving blocks, railings & site furnishings). NOTE: some trees will be replaced.
- East 40th St between Park Ave West & Madison Avenue: Completion of 36” trunk water main installation, and final roadway restoration of trenches.
Dust, noise and heavy equipment are common elements of construction and the DDC asks for your patience during the project. There may be limited street access on certain blocks. However, deliveries to commercial and residential properties and emergency vehicle access will be allowed. In addition, the DDC will be baiting the construction zone on a regular basis to control rodent populations.
Water Service Interruption
During the course of this project, temporary water service disruptions will be necessary in order to replace the water mains. If it is necessary for DDC to turn off your water service, you will receive written notice by 4 p.m. the day before service interruption. Water service will be restored everyday by 6pm or by the end of work shift. If additional shut downs are required you will receive a new notice daily until work is completed.
Proper trash collection can be a challenge on a project as large as this but if everyone is considerate it can be managed with a modicum of disruption. Please pack your trash properly to avoid easy breakage and/or spill over. Put it in the designated areas as close to collection time as possible. If you use a private carter, ensure your trash collection occurs in a timely fashion. If you aren’t sure where to bring your trash, please call the Community Construction Liaison.
During construction hours, you can expect the following:
- Increased levels of dust, noise, and heavy equipment.
- Vehicular travel lane closures will be required, as well as detours. Warning signs will be posted in advance.
- Parking and driveway/loading dock restrictions, signs will be posted within the affected areas.
- Emergency vehicle access and pedestrian access to sidewalk and buildings will be maintained.
Community Construction Liaison
The DDC has assigned Myriam Benjamin of JED Engineering as the Community Construction Liaison (CCL) for this project. Please contact Myriam for any project-related inquiries, concerns or to be added to the electronic Neighborhood Notification Network (NNN) list. Phone: 646-895-9271 / Fax: 646-922-7682, Field Office: 274 Madison Avenue, Suite 1704, NY, NY 10016, Email: PershingSqPlzCCL@gmail.com
01 Pershing Square West Newsletter Winter 2015
02 Pershing Square West Newsletter Summer 2016
03 Pershing Square West Newsletter Fall 2016
04 Pershing Square West Newsletter First Quarter 2017
05 Pershing Square West Newsletter Second Quarter 2017
06 Pershing Square West Newlsetter Third Quarter 2017
07 Pershing Square West Newsletter Fourth Quarter 2017
08 Pershing Square West Newsletter First Quarter 2018