Spotlight on Murray Hill’s Landmarks - NYC Landmarks Celebrating 50 Years

By: Preservation and Design Committee


Spotlight on Murray Hill’s Landmarks - NYC Landmarks Celebrating 50 Years

The Pierpont Morgan Library 
29-33 East 36th Street
NYC Landmark 1966
& National Register of Historic Places

Erected in 1904-1906, the Library was designed by McKim, Mead and White.

The design is based on 16th century Roman prototypes, but with a residential scale appropriate to the neighborhood. The stones are perfectly fitted, eliminating a full bed of mortar - a lasting means of construction and nearly a lost art today.

 

 

 

Set-back House at
152 East 38th Street
NYC Landmark 1967

Built in 1857 for relatives of Martin Van Buren, the house front was remodeled in the 1930s.

The unusual location of the three-story brick neo-Federal house, set back against the rear property line, prompted the design of the forward garden wall and columned loggia that also serves as entrance to the west house at the street. The delicate details are in the elegant Regency manner.

 

 

 

De Lamar Mansion
233 Madison Avenue
NYC Landmark 1975

Now the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland, this is perhaps the most opulent mansion still standing in Murray Hill.

It was designed by C.P. H. Gilbert in the heavy, grandiose, French Empire style. The baroque character of the style is expressed by the stately recessed entrance facade, the gracefully cured corners, the outward sweep of the third floor balcony and the elegant mansard roof emphasized by copper cresting.

Built in 1902-1905 for Joseph De Lamar, a Dutch-born entrepreneur.

 

 

 

Church of the Incarnation
205-207 Madison Avenue
NYC Landmark 1979

This Gothic Revival church, designed by Emlen T. Littel, is scaled to its original residential neighborhood by being set back behind an iron fence on the 35th Street side.

The 1864 brownstone structure is distinguished by the high arched bays and arched entrance porch. The church interior features stained-glass windows by William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones, Louis Comfort Tiffany and John La Farge; the oak communion rail was carved by Daniel Chester French.

Photos are by Yves Deflandre, former chair of the Preservation & Design Committee.

 

 

The Murray Hill Neighborhood Association is a member of the NYC Landmarks50 Alliance, the multi-year celebration of the 50th anniversary of New York City's Landmarks Law.

 

 

 

Join The Murray Hill Neighborhood Association

Be involved in the preservation, beautification and improvement of this very special neighborhood, and receive discounts at some of the finest Murray Hill restaurants and merchants.


Join Today