Church of the Covenant
Business > Houses of Worship >
310 East 42nd Street
(near 2nd Avenue)
New York NY 10017
Inquiries / Information
Short ProfileHistoric Presbyterian church
ProfileThe Church of the Covenant is a historic Presbyterian Church, located at 310 East 42nd Street near the corner of Second Avenue. The church evolved out of a plan in 1865 to organize a Mission Sunday School to serve the needs of the very poor immigrants living in the shanty town area known as “Dutch Hill” or “Corcoran’s Roost.” “After much search,” according to J. Cleveland Cady in an address given on Sunday, January 28, 1906, a room in an industrial school above a stable at 206 East 40th Street was secured. The Sunday Mission School occupied its room above. The stable on East 40th Street from January 28, 1866 until December 24, 1871, when its current location of 310 East 42nd Street was dedicated.
In October of 2013, the church sustained severe damage as a result of Super Storm Sandy. As we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, nearly 143 years after its original dedication, the church triumphantly is also being reborn through its sanctuary which officially reopened to public worship on January 5, 2014. The church was originally designed by J.Cleveland Cady who was a young New York architect, best known for designing the American Museum of Natural History. Its parish house was “modernized” in the 1920s to mesh with the design of the newly constructed Tudor City. After the construction of the United Nations in the 1950s, just a block away on First Avenue, the church became known as “the church of the nations”
On any given Sunday this church is blessed to have in worship the poorest among us along side presidents and diplomats of nations or tourists from around the world alongside people from around the corner.